After our trip to the Maldives, I was determined to learn how to made Roshi bread (a Maldivian flat bread). It was so good! Everybody in the family loved it! After some research on the internet, Roshi's seemed pretty simple to make.
The Roshi bread was a huge hit! Since it tastes pretty much like a tortilla, I make them every time we have tacos, or quesadillas... The fam LOVE them!
Here is the recipe I have been using if you are interested!
Makes : 10 roshi.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time : 05 minutes
2 cups plain flour
A big pinch of salt
2-3 tbsp oil
1 cup BOILING water ( approx)
1. Sift flour into a large bowl. Add salt. Make a well in the centre and add oil. 2. Add water, be careful as its boiling hot water!!!.
3. Using a metal spoon slowly mix in the flour with water. It will start to form clumps and may look dry but don’t add any more water.
4. When its cool enough to handle, but still warm, start kneading with your hands.
Once you get a nice soft dough divide it in to 10 balls , knead each ball and ,flatten them a little.5. Dust your work bench with a little flour, and roll each dough to a nice thin flat bread like a chapatti or the Mexican tortilla.
6. Heat a a large non stick frying pan,over a medium heat .Once its hot , place a roshi in the pan .
7. Cook until the underside turns brown , and the top begins to show little air pockets beginning to rise. Flip it over, flatten it a bit with a wooden spoon and brown the other side. Continue the same with the remaining roshi.
Serve with any of the curries or mashuni .
Here is a link to the blog: